Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Hunger Games Names


I just finished reading The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. Ooooooo...I was hooked from the start and could not stop until I finished all three books.

Besides being totally engaged and at times horrified by the story, I was intrigued by the names of the characters. Over the course of three books, a lot of characters are introduced and the names just fit and flow so well. Almost Ikea-like.

Let's see, there's Katniss, the main character. She's smart and self-sufficient, courageous and so very clear on her priorities. I predict there will be lots of little girls named Katniss starting kindergarten in about 5 years.

Other character names that linger for me: Prim, Rue, Finnick, Gale, Cashmere, Haymitch, Peeta, Coin, Snow, Tigris, Cressida, Beetee, Delly, Cato, Clove, Boggs, Lyme, Cinna, Greasy Sae, Plutarch....

I find myself wanting to sort out the names, to discover a pattern in the author's lexicon. Many are organic: animal, vegetable, mineral. Some hard, cold, steely. Some light and clear. Some mysterious. Are there clues to who the good guys are? I imagine the names as fonts: some are round and clean. Some are sharp, pointy; definitely serifs.

I wonder if one day we'll use fonts named Cinna, Rue, and Finnick. I can already see them. What about one named Greasy Sae?

If your name were a font, what font would it be?

4 comments:

  1. Great post!! I want to say my name's font would be Palatino because it's sort of...I don't know...crisp? But that might just be because it's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's actually a font called "fashionism" - all lowercase letters! a coworker recently forwarded to me; i'm having trouble loading it. that would be a strong contender for my font.

    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris,
    Thanks! Yes, I can see you as Palatino...on the classic side but with style. I will forever think of you when I choose it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lisa,
    I looked up fashionism and it can't be you! It's PC only and you, my friend, are mac, through and through. Thanks for commenting and the nice words. I'll give some thought to "what font is lisa?"

    ReplyDelete