Sunday, February 20, 2011

Smart Packaging

For a few years now my daughters have been singing the praises of Smartwool products. Smartwool sweaters. Smartwool socks. Smartwool hats and scarves. When daughter Kris gave me a Smartwool sweater for Christmas a couple of years ago I experienced the goodness firsthand. Warm, soft, carefree. I tell Kris that when I wear this sweater it’s like getting a hug from her.

Smartwool, a type of merino wool, is the creation of two New England ski instructors. They wanted to make socks that would keep their feet warm and dry on the slopes. Once other skiers tried the socks, they were hooked and the brand quickly took on cult status on and off the slopes. You can read about it here: https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm#/About/History/

This year Kris gave me several pairs of Smartwool socks. They're wonderful of course, but what I really want to tell you about is the packaging. Each type of sock has a unique, interesting package. Yet all share a common spirit of comfort, fun, being active and alive, and respect for nature. The packaging just adds to the good feelings that radiate from the products. 

Here’s what I love about Smartwool packaging:

The Structure: Each recycled paper package is a study in origami. They fold and tuck and come together to secure and display the products with NO PINS, NO CLIPS, NO PLASTIC TETHERS. It's such a refreshing change from the typical sealed, stapled, oh-so-secure and wasteful packaging that's become the norm.
The Copy: In addition to fitting in all the required copy that goes with packaging, the Smartwool creative team found a way to actually communicate and sell, entertain and inform! The copy is  simple and smart, clever, a bit whimsical. A few examples:
  • For the hiking socks: "Nothing better to soothe your soles."
  • For the athletic socks: "For fitness walks, social walks and all other walks of life."
  • For their everyday, ultra-comfy socks: "Stand up and make yourself comfortable."

The Integrity: Each package states "We always give you 110% effort, 100% smarts. And 0% bull." I think that's what I love the most! It's obvious Smartwool is clear on their values and is willing to make the investment of time, resources and thinking to create packaging that is true to the brand. They care! And I love that.

Nicely done, Smartwool creative department. You warm me from head to heart to toes! 


3 comments:

  1. I have a pair of their gloves and now that you mention it, I do recall how easy it was to put them on while I was still shopping due to the simple packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dorothy - I just met your daughter at Title Nine here in Madison - I was there power shopping on my lunch hour. She wrote down your blog for me. I am a grpahic designer at Dean Health System in Madison.
    But seriously I would not have sent you a message other than I bought my first Smartwool Socks this past weekend and my love of the packageing is real. I have it on my dresser yet to admire it. And my feet are very happy.
    ALSO: I love pens and the feel of pens and the whole entry made me realize I AM NOT ALONE.
    Take care
    Julie Pietras

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, thanks for stopping by Juice Break. It's nice to meet a kindred spirit! Hope you'll stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete